The woman struck by lightning in Hampton Cove is alive and still being treated at Huntsville Hospital as of 10 p.m. Thursday night.
It happened a little after 1 p.m. along Peninsula Circle.
According to neighbors the woman was inspecting the concrete sea wall going in along the bank of the lake in the area and she was taking shelter from the storm under a tree when she got hit.
Louis Consagra was on his computer when he heard the loud crack right in his back yard.
"As I came from my study the gentleman that was doing the sea wall started to run up towards my windows. I came this way. I saw the woman out there. He started to bang on my window," Consagra.
A construction worker was asking for help.
"I yelled to my wife, 'call 911, call 911,'" said Consagra.
Consagra's wife told WAAY 31 she has never heard her husband scream like that in 50 years of marriage.
Jack McCreary lives down the street and he's never been this close to lightning before.
"Nothing like that. That was very awakening at how dangerous lightning could be," said McCreary.
According to Weather.gov, 47 people, on average, die of lightning in the United States every year.
So far in 2018 there have been 5 people die, but only 10 percent of people hit pass away.
Consagra thought the woman could have been one of that ten percent when he tried to help her Thursday afternoon.
"I couldn't feel a pulse. At that moment I looked up and I could hear the ambulance coming," said Consagra.
There are several different ways of getting struck by lightning including:
A direct strike.
A side flash where it hits a tree first and then you.
When it hits a tree and comes up through the ground, or if you're touching metal far away from where it got struck.
All of those different ways is why Consagra is always inside during thunderstorms.
"You can't be safe enough. You can't take enough precautions. Mother nature is a cruel task master sometimes," said Consagra.
We'll continue to follow the condition of the woman who was hit and update you again as soon as we know more.
- Woman struck by lightning sent to hospital in critical condition
- Person struck by lightning in Athens
- Alabama pastor struck by lightning at church
- Shoals man recovers after being struck by lightning
- Marshall County 911 Center back open after being struck by lightning
- Man hospitalized after being struck in the roadway
- Girl in critical condition after Maryland school shooting
- Man in critical condition after Decatur car crash
- Man in critical condition after shooting in Decatur
- Man in critical condition after early morning shooting