A 5-year-old Colorado girl is in fair condition at the hospital with 77 stiches after authorities said she was dragged away from her own yard by a black bear in the middle of the night, ABC News reported.
Kimberly Cyr's father said his daughter went into the backyard of the family home around 2:30 AM after she heard noises she assumed were coming from the family dog.
Kimberly's mother heard screams a few minutes later and looked out the window to see her daughter being dragged off by a bear. The animal only dropped Kimberly after the girl's mother began to scream at it.
An official with Colorado Parks and Wildlife said traps are currently set for the bear. It'll be put down after it is caught so a necropsy can be performed on the animal.
The official said the little girl likely startled the animal since most wildlife doesn't regularly encounter people outside in the middle of the night
- Mom hears screams, sees bear drag off her 5 year-old daughter
- Mom accidentally shoots and kills 2-year-old daughter
- Sheriff: Deputy dragged by car stuns, shoots Alabama suspect
- Police: Man dressed in drag robs Huntsville bank
- Sheriff: Deputy dragged by vehicle after trying to arrest man
- Florence drags in a few clouds and showers Sunday
- Missouri police officer is dead after 911 call of women screaming
- Downtown Athens could see changes in the next 3 years
- Bear Bryant's great grandson commits to Alabama
- Movers for Mom donation drive