WAAY 31 learned from Huntsville Emergency Medical Services the driver of the vehicle that crashed and caught fire Thursday night on US 72 and Shields Road has died.
EMT Adam Goode told WAAY 31 he was transporting a patient to Crestwood Medical Center when his ambulance passed the crash.
When he saw smoke he said he knew he needed to stop and help.
"You're not going to go riding by a vehicle that has just wrecked and was on fire and fully involved and just say 'whatever I'm already on a call,'" Goode said.
He did what he knew needed to be done. He stopped his ambulance and went to help.
"I grabbed a fire extinguisher and took off running into the woods," Goode explained.
When he wasn't able to put the fire out, he did the next best thing, he worked to pull the driver to safety .
"I punched a window out with a glass breaker. I was able to clear the glass and get him out," said Goode.
Goode told me an off-duty Huntsville Firefighter received an alert to his phone from the Pulse Point app and came to help.
That app notifies people who download and specify themselves as knowing CPR if there is a 9-1-1 call near their location.
Goode said without the firefighter's help their would have been a different outcome.
"There is no way I could have personally dragged that guy away from the vehicle by myself," he explained.
Goode told me even though the man did not survive, he is happy the family will be able to receive his body after they pulled him from the vehicle.
HEMSI officials believe the man might have suffered a medical emergency when the crash occurred.
The off-duty Huntsville Firefighter that responded was headed out of town Friday and couldn't meet with WAAY 31.
We did learn from an official with Huntsville Fire Rescue that the firefighter had downloaded Pulse Point on Wednesday, the day it became available.
- Huntsville EMT and off-duty firefighter pull man from burning vehicle
- Huntsville crews pull man from vehicle hanging from embankment
- Firefighters revive lifeless dog pulled from burning home
- Huntsville nurses and EMTs give medical aid to hurricane victims
- Jury duty scam
- Fire burns through house in Huntsville
- Vehicle runs through Huntsville carpet store
- Vehicle flips on Explorer Boulevard in Huntsville
- Pedestrian hit by vehicle in north Huntsville
- Huntsville firefighters investigating overnight house fire