BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - Authorities are investigating after a 2-year-old boy suffered a fatal gunshot wound at an apartment in Birmingham.
While relatives are telling news outlets that the child got hold of a gun and shot himself Wednesday morning, police say they haven't determined how the child was shot.
Birmingham fire medics arrived at the scene but didn't take the child for treatment. Police Capt. James Jackson says detectives are trying to determine exactly what occurred.
The child's parents are being questioned by investigators.
- 2-year-old child fatally shot in Birmingham
- Bystander fatally shot in crossfire in Birmingham
- Woman shot in Birmingham home
- Woman shot, killed inside Birmingham grocery store
- Bullets hit Birmingham's Topgolf
- Officer won't face charges in fatal Birmingham mall shooting
- Man found shot to death in car in Birmingham
- Birmingham officer shot, suspect killed in downtown shootout
- Teen fatally shot in central Alabama subdivision
- UPDATE: Missing girl near Birmingham found safe