The Decatur City Council voted unanimously Monday night to approve over $1.4 million in road paving projects.
18 different roads are slated to be repaved.
The city told WAAY 31 the projects will be paid for through already existing revenue streams and all the projects will be completed by the end of the fiscal year, which is on September 30th.
One driver WAAY 31 talked to said the bad roads in Decatur completly change how she drives.
"We avoid roads we know are in need of repair, if we can," said Andrea Robertson.
Robertson said avoiding these bad roads means picking different routes to get places.
"Very frustrating. We have places to go and we have to be on time and adjusting just makes it more hectic," said Robertson.
The Decatur City Engineer told WAAY 31 the 18 roads that will be repaved are the worst of the worst, but he admits there are plenty more needing attention.
Right now, they're in the process of creating a grading system, to make a list, which will be used in the years to come.
"Looking forward in the future we can look at those number of streets versus the budget, so we can plan more than one year at a time, hopefully. Maybe we can plan a couple of years ahead and know about how many we'll do and what kind of funding we'll need," said Decatur City Engineer Carl Prewitt.
Robertson likes that idea.
"That's really reassuring to know that they want to help take care of it. Despite all the headache in between, we'll end up with nice roads in the long run," said Robertson.
The City of Decatur told WAAY 31 they still need to wait for the weather to turn warm to start the paving projects.
They anticipate by middle to late March all of the paving will be in full swing.
This is the full list of roads that will be repaved either fully or partially.
Austinville Rd SW
Old Creek Trail
Carridale St. SW
Somerville Rd SE
Davis Street NW
13th St SE
11th St SE
14th Av SW
Monroe Dr NW
3rd St NW
Beltline Service Rd
Valley Forge Road SW
Somerville Rd SE
14th Av SE
- $1.4M in road paving projects approved for Decatur
- Hwy 20 paving project begins in Decatur
- Two road widening projects approved in Madison
- Marshall County road project approved, open for bids
- Tennessee Riverkeeper starts cleanup project in Decatur
- Traffic Alert: Crews to close one lane for paving on 11th Street in Decatur
- Rain worsens pot holes, stops paving plans
- Decatur council approves grant for Dry Branch Creek trail
- Decatur City Council approves food to alcohol ratio change
- Traffic Alert: Delays expected on County Line Road in Huntsville during paving