A 34-year-old man has been arrested and charged in connection with the murder of his father.
According to the Lauderdale County Sheriff's Office, Charles Montgomery was arrested and charged with the murder of 52-year-old Roy Dale Montgomery, who was found dead in his home in the Cloverdale community on Oct. 16.
The victim's 1989 Chevrolet pickup truck was recovered at a residence on Highway 81 at the Oakland community. He was a truck driver and did not show up for work on Monday, so his employer asked the sheriff's office to conduct a welfare check.
During the welfare check Monday afternoon, officials said, the victim's car was gone and they couldn't go inside because they didn't have cause to believe something was wrong.
On Tuesday, his family entered the house and found Roy Dale Montgomery dead. They went across the street and told their neighbor, Donna Elkin, who called 911.
Law enforcement officers have not released the cause of death at this time.
"You don't just open the door to someone beating and banging on your door. My first reaction was not to open the door, so I called my husband and once he came in the room with me, I opened the door," Elkin said. "I hope they find whoever is responsible for it. Right now, there's a murderer on the loose."
- Son charged with father's murder in Lauderdale County
- Lauderdale County murder suspects released on bond
- Lauderdale County Homicide Investigation
- Lauderdale County man charged with rape
- Jackson County man charged in murder of his father
- Father of missing 5-year-old charged with the murder of his autistic son
- Storm damage in Lauderdale County
- Lauderdale County inmate found dead
- More information in the investigation of Lauderdale County murder
- Murder suspect released in Lauderdale County on a $50,000 bond