One person is dead following an officer-involved shooting at the Planet Fitness on Highway 72 in Madison, according to the Madison Police Department.
Maj. John Stringer said officers responded to check on a subject at the workout center about 4:50 p.m. Sunday.
When they arrived and engaged with the man, it led to an alercation. Ultimately, at least one of the officers fired at the man and he was prounounced dead at the scene.
Five Madison Police Department officers have been placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard, department policy in any officer-involved shooting.
Stringer said all five are not involved in shooting the man at Planet Fitness.
He said some are on leave to get counseling and be available for the investigation.
The scene was turned over to the Madison County Sheriff's Office to investigate as "an objective third party agency," according to Major Stringer.
In addition to Maditon Police and the Madison County Sheriff's Office, the Madison Fire Department, Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA) State Troopers and Huntsville Emergnecy Medical Services Inc (HEMSI) all responded to the scene.
- 1 dead after shooting involving Madison Police at Planet Fitness; 5 on leave
- State lawmaker discusses transparency after Planet Fitness shooting involving Madison Police
- Huntsville/Madison County NAACP leader discusses Planet Fitness shooting
- Huntsville/Madison County NAACP leader has questions about Planet Fitness shooting
- Community asks for transparency, public officials to speak after Madison Planet Fitness shooting
- Madison Co. District Attorney's Office explains evidence released in Planet Fitness shooting
- Madison police investigating shooting
- Family of man shot in Madison Planet Fitness parking lot wants to see body camera video
- NASA declares elite planet-hunting spacecraft dead
- Drive-by shooting leaves one man dead