Chris Watts' multilevel Colorado home is being foreclosed and put up for auction -- for any buyers willing to look past its tragic history.
The house in Frederick, where Watts killed his pregnant wife and two young daughters in August, will be up for public auction on April 17 at the Weld County public trustee's office in Greeley, according to paperwork filed last month.
Continents and regions
Families and children
Family members and relatives
Health and health care (by demographic group)
Health and medical
Infants and toddlers
Maternal and child health
Medical fields and specialties
Obstetrics and gynecology
Population and demographics
Pregnancy and childbirth
Southeastern United States
Southwestern United States
Crime, law enforcement and corrections
Crimes against persons
Law and legal system
Watts is serving life in prison for the killings.
The public trustee filed a notice on December 18 that the five-bedroom, 4,177-square-foot home is being foreclosed because mortgage payments have been missed. The house was bought in 2013 for about $400,000.
The mortgage's outstanding principal balance is about $349,900, the trustee's notice says. Real estate website Zillow.com estimates the home is worth about $510,000.
At auction, the highest and best cash bid will win, the notice says.
Watts' wife, Shanann Watts, 34, and their daughters, Bella, 4, and Celeste, 3, were reported missing August 13. The mother was 15 weeks' pregnant.
Chris Watts initially put out a plea for his family's return and denied having anything to do with their disappearance.
Three days later, the body of Shanann Watts was found in a shallow grave at an oil worksite. The girls' bodies were found in two oil tanks nearby.
Chris Watts had strangled his wife and suffocated the children, authorities said, and he was arrested.
Watts pleaded guilty in November to first degree murder and other charges in their deaths and was sentenced to five life sentences with no possibility of parole.
Watts, authorities said, was having an affair. The woman, a co-worker, said Watts told her he and his wife were separating.
- Colorado home where Chris Watts killed his family is up for auction
- Families react to Chris Watts killing family
- Chris Watts transferred to prison outside of Colorado
- New evidence released in Chris Watts case
- Chris Watts case: What we learned from unsealed affidavit
- Entire Colorado theme park up for auction
- Hours before his arrest, Chris Watts pleaded for his family's return
- Chris Watts pleaded for his family's return. A week later, he's charged with their murders
- Chris Watts sentenced to life for 'inhumane' killings of two daughters and pregnant wife
- Chris Watts gets life in prison for killing pregnant wife, kids