Colorado Democratic US Rep. Jared Polis will be his state's next governor, becoming the nation's first openly gay man elected to a governor's mansion, CNN has projected.
Polis will succeed Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper, who is term-limited from seeking the office again, and will defeat Republican gubernatorial nominee Walker Stapleton.
Continents and regions
Elections (by type)
Elections and campaigns
Gays and lesbians
Government and public administration
Government bodies and offices
Heads of government
Political Figures - US
Population and demographics
Sex and gender issues
Southwestern United States
Oregon Democratic Gov. Kate Brown, who identifies as bisexual, is already the first openly LGBT person to be elected governor. Former New Jersey Gov. Jim McGreevey came out as gay before he stepped down from office in the early 2000s.
Polis was one of several LGBT candidates who ran for governor this cycle, along with Brown in Oregon, Vermont Democrat Christine Hallquist and Texas Democrat Lupe Valdez.
The historic first for Polis means Democrats will retain the governor's mansion in Colorado and the LGBT community will secure rare representation at the statewide level.
Polis is no stranger to the distinction, having become the first openly gay man elected to the House as a freshman in 2008.
During his gubernatorial bid, Polis has pushed for universal health care, free early childhood education and progressing Colorado to a 100% renewable energy state.
As a freshman, Polis and his spouse Marlon Reis wrote about their experience as a same sex couple in Congress -- years before same sex marriage was legalized at the federal level.
- Colorado elects nation's first openly gay governor, CNN projects
- US elects its first openly gay governor
- He may be the first openly gay man as Governor
- Christine Hallquist will make history as first openly transgender major party nominee for governor, CNN projects
- Republican Ron DeSantis wins Florida governor election, CNN projects
- CNN projection: Blackburn elected to US Senate
- CNN projection: Braun elected to US Senate
- Democratic House primary in Kentucky pits openly gay mayor against female fighter pilot
- Democrat Laura Kelly wins Kansas governor race, CNN projects
- Republican Mike DeWine wins Ohio governor race, CNN projects