The 2018 MTV Video Music Awards featured a possible presidential candidate on the red carpet and a protest against family separation on the stage. Here are the political moments from this year's show:
1. Michael Avenatti was there
Arts and entertainment
Awards and prizes
Business and industry sectors
Business, economy and trade
Entertainment and arts awards
Music and dance
Stormy Daniels' lawyer told Variety he got an invitation and decided to come. He said he hopes it's not his last VMAs and that he's "seriously" considering running for president.
2. MAGA on the red carpet
And by MAGA, I mean "Make America Gay Again," the message on the back of Bobby Lyte's jacket.
3. Kevin Hart joked that the show was like the White House
Hart joked that anything could happen at the VMAs. "Things pop off, bad language, people run to the bathroom and send out crazy tweets," he said. "It's basically like your typical day at the White House."
4. Logic's performance of 'One Day' was an anti-border-wall protest
The rapper wore a shirt that said "F--- The Wall" and performed onstage with members of immigration groups and their children, who wore shirts that said, "We Are All Human Beings."
5. MTV launched a youth voter-registration campaign
Their "+1 The Vote" campaign encourages people to bring a friend to vote. MTV said it would have more than 1,000 Election Day parties in every state and promised top artists and activists would be involved.
6. The giant Moonperson set was inspired by the Statue of Liberty
The show was held this year in New York, and set designer Julio Himede told Variety it was to pay tribute to the city. "From a set point of view, we are excited about the fact that the VMAs is back in New York City," he said.
7. Childish Gambino's 'This Is America' won Video With a Message
The category included videos about feminism, #metoo and equality. "This Is America" won out, and the video's choreographer, Sherrie Silver, accepted the award on Donald Glover's behalf. She said she was glad African dance could reach a large audience.
- 7 political things that happened at the 2018 VMAs
- 110 things that happened in American politics in 2018
- MTV VMAs 2018: See the complete list of winners
- Here's what you missed at the VMAs
- MTV VMAs 2018: What we know about music's most unpredictable show
- 16 things that happened in politics and culture in one short month
- These are the political and social music videos nominated for Video With a Message at the VMAs
- Jennifer Lopez rocks VMAs with journey through her musical past
- Logic puts immigrant families center stage at VMAs
- VMAs 2019: See the complete list of winners