A woman is in custody after she shot at first responders who were arriving at a crash scene in Waddell, according to the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office.
The woman, who has not been identified, was involved in a collision that caused her to go off into a deserted area near Perryville Road and Olive Avenue late Sunday night.
When deputies and fire personnel arrived, the woman began to shoot toward the first responders into a neighborhood, said MCSO.
The first responders were able to retreat safely, allowing the Tactical Operations Unit (TOU) to secure the area.
After the woman was given commands by members of TOU, the woman exited the vehicle and stood in the middle of the road, said MCSO.
The woman then failed to follow further orders and a K9 was deployed. The woman was taken into custody without further incident, said MCSO.
The woman was treated and transported to a nearby hospital for her wounds. No other injuries were reported.
The incident remains under investigation and MCSO said it is unknown if drugs or alcohol were factors in the situation.
The intersection of Perryville Road and Olive Avenue is closed while detectives investigate the scene.
- MCSO: Woman shoots at first responders after crash
- MCSO: Man assaults kids following prank in Queen Creek
- MCSO: Veteran arrested after claims he wired RV with explosives
- MCSO identifies man who drowned in Chickasabogue Park while fleeing officers
- MCSO forms team to track fugitives & tackle 31,000 unserved felony warrants
- Fountain Hills murder: 13 guns found at home where 92-year-old killed son, MCSO says
- Metro officer injured responding to crash
- Emergency crews respond to deadly plane crash
- Woman dead, pregnant woman injured in shooting
- Va. State Police respond to 179 crashes during winter storm