First lady Melania Trump will not attend the G7 summit this year or join the President when he travels to Singapore for the planned June 12 summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, her spokeswoman tells CNN.
The first lady has not been seen publicly for 24 days. She was last spotted with President Donald Trump on May 10 at Andrews Air Force Base as they welcomed home three Americans who had been held prisoner in North Korea.
Trump had what her spokeswoman described as a medical procedure to treat a benign kidney issue on May 14 at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. The first lady remained in the hospital for five nights following the procedure prior to returning to the White House on May 19.
As days have passed into weeks without a sighting of the first lady, speculation about Trump's lack of public schedule spawned several internet conspiracy theories, from plastic surgery to a stealth move back to New York City.
Trump's communications director Stephanie Grisham denied the rumors, telling CNN the first lady has been recuperating, but also taking meetings with her staff at the White House, discussing her initiatives as well as upcoming events like the Congressional Picnic and Fourth of July.
As recently as Friday, Grisham told CNN, "she is fine, she's doing great."
The first lady did attend the G7 summit in Sicily last year, making headlines on her debut international trip as first lady. For a tour of Taomarina with other G7 leaders' spouses, Trump famously donned a $51,500 floral Dolce & Gabbana jacket, which garnered sartorial praise but also raised eyebrows because of its cost.
On the first couple's last day in Sicily before jetting back to Washington, they stopped at the US naval air base in Sigonella, Sicily, where the first lady gave brief remarks to troops prior to the President taking the podium.
This year's G7 Summit will take place June 8-9 in Quebec, Canada.
- Melania Trump will not travel to G7, North Korea summits
- Melania Trump addresses cyberbullying summit
- US delegation travels to North Korea for potential summit preparation
- Dennis Rodman traveling to Singapore for North Korea summit
- Trump talks up second North Korea summit
- Republicans skeptical of Trump's tariff plan ahead of G7 summit
- Donald Trump's G7 temper tantrum
- Pompeo to travel to North Korea to arrange second Trump-Kim summit
- Trump's North Korea frustrations
- G7 summit angst; ZTE deal; IMF in Argentina