A Nashville family celebrated a World War II veteran's 99th birthday this Memorial Day weekend with cake and a lot of war stories.
Joe B. Davis fought three years with the 1st Infantry Division from November 1942 to November 1945. He was stationed in Algeria, Tunisia, and Sicily.
"I was in Infantry, you see, they had it pretty rough. Good ole Infantry. I would've been in D-Day if I hadn't gotten wounded in Sicily," he said.
On Sunday, Davis spent the afternoon with his family made up of five generations.
Every year, his family listens to his war stories and sings happy birthday to him. His birthday is more special as it falls before Memorial Day.
"We try to celebrate his birthday the best we can every year, just not because he's our grandfather, but also because tomorrow is a very special day being Memorial Day. So we celebrate everybody," granddaughter Christine Gallegos said.
Gallegos and her family said Davis' memories about surviving war and his stories he tells them are something they cherish.
"To be able to still talk to us and still tell memories because a lot of people do not have the mindset like he has at 99 years old. He makes sure that he still calls me. When I leave work and come home from work," she said.
Gallegos said her grandfather worked years at the U.S. Postal Service and still remembers zip codes and street names around Davidson County.
- World War II veteran celebrates 99th birthday
- World War II Vet Celebrates 100th Birthday
- Australia's forgotten indigenous World War II veterans
- World War II Fast Facts
- Britain's Queen Elizabeth II celebrates 92nd birthday
- Birthday cards requested for World War II veteran turning 100 years old
- World War II Veterans reminisce during USS Alabama Crewmen's reunion
- World War II veteran on a mission to meet and greet people
- This 100-year-old World War II veteran is meeting with governors from every state
- Hong Kong police defuse unearthed World War II bomb