Mary Ekern of Fargo fell in love with walking as a child in Wallhalla, N.D. and that love has grown into something more.
After Ekern retired in 1999 her son suggested she turn her daily walks into runs, so she could compete in the Fargo Marathon's 5k.
Following completion of her first 5k Ekern deiced to step it up and try the half marathon, where she fell in love all over again.
But at the age of 80 the training has become more of a chore than a passion for Ekern who decided this year will be her final race.
- 80 year-old ready for final half marathon
- China half marathon: More than 200 runners banned for cheating
- Boston Marathon Fast Facts
- Georgia woman loses necklace with daughter's ashes at Disney during Princess Half Marathon
- Blind runner, guide dog trio makes history in NYC Half Marathon
- Half mammal, half reptile discovered in Utah
- Kofi Annan Dies at 80
- 80 years on, Germany to pay compensation to Kindertransport survivors
- The final finisher: The inspiring stories of last-place marathon runners
- Comienza liberación de 80 detenidos en Venezuela