It was a very special birthday for one World War II veteran in Lackawanna County.
Gordon Bender turned 100-years-old on Sunday.
Newswatch 16 caught up with the vet and his friends and family at the Gino J. Merli Veterans Center in Scranton celebrating the milestone.
Bender is originally from Allentown but lives part-time at the veteran center.
Bender served in the U.S. Army from 1941 to 1945.
When asked what the key to living a long, healthy life Bender says it involves some luck.
"I'm lucky, very lucky. Don't take any pills. So I'm very fortunate but I owe it all to sports. I played softball until I was 89-years-old," said Bender.
A very happy 100th birthday to Gordon Bender from all of us here at WNEP.
- World War II Vet Celebrates 100th Birthday
- World War II veteran celebrates 99th birthday
- WWII Vet Celebrates His 100th Birthday
- World War II Fast Facts
- Britain's Queen Elizabeth II celebrates 92nd birthday
- Richard Feynman's 100th birthday is a celebration of science
- Woman rides on a Harley to celebrate 100th birthday
- Australia's forgotten indigenous World War II veterans
- Birthday cards requested for World War II veteran turning 100 years old
- Hong Kong police defuse unearthed World War II bomb