Actress and activist Cynthia Nixon is reportedly gearing up to launch a progressive primary challenge to New York Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
The "Sex and the City" star is forming a team of alumni of the New York political sphere, including Rebecca Katz and Bill Hyers -- who worked on New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio's first campaign -- to help her ahead of the state's Democratic primary in September, NY1 reported Tuesday.
New York's Democratic primary is in September
Nixon was honored at a Human Rights Campaign gala in January
Katz wouldn't comment when reached by CNN, referring questions Nixon's publicist, who said a final decision has not been made.
"Many concerned New Yorkers have been encouraging Cynthia to run for office, and as she has said previously, she will continue to explore it," Rebecca Capellan, Nixon's publicist, said in an email statement to CNN. "If and when such a decision is made, Cynthia will be sure to make her plans public."
Nixon, 51, had been among the list of people floated as potential opponents to challenge Cuomo in a Democratic primary in September. She hasn't shut down speculation around running for office.
"I have heard those rumors," she said when asked about running by the "Today" show in August. "I've heard them. I've read them."
Since then, Nixon -- who is a Tony, Grammy and Emmy Award winner -- has remained politically active.
"In 2018, we don't just need to elect more Democrats, we also need better Democrats," she said in February during a Human Rights Campaign Greater New York gala.
Nixon was also among the star-studded cast of actors, entertainers and activists who came together for "the People's State of the Union" in January, an alternative event to President Donald Trump's first State of the Union speech.
- 'Sex and the City' star Cynthia Nixon inching closer to gubernatorial challenge in New York
- It's official: 'Sex and the City' star Cynthia Nixon announces New York gubernatorial bid
- How Andrew Cuomo is sidestepping Cynthia Nixon's challenge
- Cynthia Nixon talks politics with Wendy Williams
- Sarah Jessica Parker backs 'Sex and the City' costar Cynthia Nixon in NY governor bid
- It's not all that crazy to think Cynthia Nixon could be the next New York governor
- Cynthia Nixon makes stop in Rochester in swing through Western and Central New York
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo easily defeats actress and activist Cynthia Nixon in Democratic primary
- Venezuela is inching closer to collapse
- Poll: 64% of NYC Democrats say Andrew Cuomo better for city than Cynthia Nixon