(CNN) -- President Donald Trump on Thursday spoke directly to schoolchildren, teachers and families across the country in the wake of the Florida school shooting, saying the nation is "in grief." "My fellow Americans, today I speak to a nation in grief," Trump said. "Our entire nation with one heavy heart is praying for the victims and their families. To every parent, teacher and child who is hurting so badly, we are here for you, whatever you need, whatever we can do, to ease your pain. We are all joined together as one American family and your suffering is our burden also." "No child, no teacher should ever be in danger in an American school. No parent should ever have to fear for their sons and daughters when they kiss them goodbye in the morning," Trump added.
- URGENT - Trump pledges to 'ease pain' but offers few specifics
- URGENT -
- URGENT -
- "Hero" foods helping to ease the pain of rheumatoid arthritis
- Trump's approval is rising among these specific groups
- Jacksonville shooting suspect specifically targeted fellow Madden gamers
- Xi Jinping promises miracles, but fails to deliver specifics
- DHS secretary says Trump used 'tough' language on immigration but denies hearing specific slurs
- Top US general: 'No specific direction' received after Trump-Putin summit
- Southern Baptists confront 'painful crisis'