Orrin Hatch is the coolest guy in the Senate, or so his uber hip press shop would like you to think. The octogenarian senator from Utah -- who announced he will not be seeking re-election -- lit up Twitter after reaching up to take off glasses that he wasn't actually wearing.
The instantly iconic movement served as as a moment of levity during a contentious Senate Judiciary Committee hearing with Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen. The senator, totally unfazed, blew by it and began his questioning on worker visas.
Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch reached for glasses he wasn't wearing
It happens to all of us
"WATCH: Sen. Orrin Hatch removes a pair of glasses he's not wearing," Levine tweeted along with a three-second clip of the moment -- a clip that now has more than 2 million views.
"Oh you mean his invisible glasses from Warby Parker? They're new, you've probably never heard of them," Hatch's apparently hipster staffers responded, all in good fun.
The response included a fake Warby Parker listing for invisible glasses, adding one more item to the list of reasons a government shutdown this weekend would be devastating. People with senses of humor should not be furloughed, Congress!
According to a later tweet, "The Senator forgot his glasses this morning."
For good measure, the account later retweeted a GIF sent out by "The Daily Show" that superimposed the meme-famous Deal with It glasses on Hatch's face.
Moments like this happen to all of us. We "can't find" the phone we are talking into (the same one that you think is vibrating when it is not). The keys (that are in your hand) are nowhere to be found. Thinking it's Friday, when it's only Tuesday (surprise!).
Life comes at you fast. It's just not usually broadcast on C-SPAN.
- Sen. Orrin Hatch's invisible glasses show he's super hip, and/or just human
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls Obamacare supporters 'stupidest, dumbass people'
- Sen. Orrin Hatch to Google: I'm not dead
- Utah Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch to retire, clearing way for Mitt Romney
- Sen. Orrin Hatch: Romney will 'have my support' if he runs for Senate
- David Axelrod: Orrin Hatch's simple act of kindness
- Why Orrin Hatch had two statements on Rob Porter's resignation
- Orrin Hatch apologizes to Rob Porter's ex-wives
- Orrin Hatch calls partisanship over Kavanaugh nomination 'dumbass'
- Orrin Hatch's embarrassingly bad defense of Donald Trump