President Donald Trump defended his border security demands Tuesday amid tension in Washington over immigration policy disagreements that could lead to a government shutdown.
"We must have Security at our VERY DANGEROUS SOUTHERN BORDER, and we must have a great WALL to help protect us, and to help stop the massive inflow of drugs pouring into our country!" Trump tweeted.
Some Democrats want a deal on DACA before voting on government funding
Congress faces a potential government shutdown later this week
Congress faces the threat of a government shutdown later this week over the future of the Deferred Action on Childhood Arrivals program. Some Democrats say they won't vote to continue funding the government if a permanent extension for DACA -- which is set to expire in March -- is not passed. Trump -- along with congressional Republicans -- has demanded border security, including money for the President's promised border wall, be a part of any immigration deal that addresses DACA, though what that means exactly hasn't been specified.
In another tweet on Tuesday, Trump blamed Democrats for the government shutdown threat.
"The Democrats want to shut down the Government over Amnesty for all and Border Security. The biggest loser will be our rapidly rebuilding Military, at a time we need it more than ever," Trump wrote. "We need a merit based system of immigration, and we need it now! No more dangerous Lottery."
The President rejected a bipartisan immigration reform deal last Thursday.
- Trump defends border demands amid shutdown deadline
- Trump defends Kavanaugh amid allegations
- Trump defends NRA amid gun law debate
- Trump defends tariffs amid jittery markets
- Trump defends daughter Ivanka amid email scrutiny
- Trump stoking fear amid border funding fight
- Trump floats September shutdown for 'border security'
- Paul Ryan defends Jim Jordan amid allegations
- Former umpire defends Carlos Ramos amid furore
- Congress week ahead: Government shutdown deadline looms