Former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, a top Democrat newly out of office, had choice words for President Donald Trump on Sunday, calling him "disgraceful," "disgusting" and an "embarrassment."
"Disgraceful, disgusting, he just continues to hurt the prestige of the United States of America," McAuliffe said on CNN's "State of the Union" in response to Trump's reportedly calling nations in Africa "shithole countries."
McAuliffe said remarks like that could put military servicemembers and diplomats "in harm's way" and hurt the United States' standing around the world.
"He embarrasses us," McAuliffe said.
Asked if he thinks Trump is a racist, McAuliffe said, "I certainly think he makes racist comments."
Sources told CNN on Thursday that during an Oval Office meeting on immigration with lawmakers, Trump expressed frustration with people coming to the US from "shithole countries."
Trump tweeted about the ensuing controversy on Friday.
"The language used by me at the DACA meeting was tough, but this was not the language used. What was really tough was the outlandish proposal made - a big setback for DACA!" he tweeted.
- Former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe: Trump 'embarrasses us'
- Former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe: Trump 'failed' to show moral leadership after Charlottesville
- Terry McAuliffe: 'Democrats should not give an inch' in budget debate
- McAuliffe: Trump is 'angry, emotional, unstable'
- Chuck Hagel: Trump 'an embarrassment'
- Burns: Trump Helsinki comments "embarrassing"
- Trump's embarrassing split-screen moment on stocks
- WaPo: Trump team thinks Coats embarrassed him
- Toobin: Ruling an embarrassment for Trump
- Workers and shareholders call GE an 'embarrassment'