It's been freezing for more than a week in New York and families in the Astoria Houses say they haven't had heat in days.
Resident Nirka Mercado is especially concerned about her 20-year-old son Joshua Sanchez, who has autism, getting sick.
"It's outrageous. We are freezing," Mercado said. "[My son] watches PIX11 everyday. He was hoping you would help him, too."
In a statement, a spokesperson for the New York City Housing Authority told PIX11 News:
"Staff has visited the resident and confirmed heat is working in her apartment. We must do better to ensure all residents have the safe, warm homes they deserve."
- Mom fears son living with autism will get sick because there's no heat in their home
- Mom: My son was magic
- Family living in fear after armed man ransacks home
- Arizona moms want lawmakers to 'legalize autism' for cannabis treatment
- Mom Of Bullied Teen With Autism Says School Didn't Help
- Mom hopes lawmakers approve medical marijuana for autism
- Mom sues school over son's brain injuries
- Mom uses Facebook to solve son's assault
- Mom runs for office after son's death
- Family: School Didn't Protect Son With Autism From Violent Bullying