Since being diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis in 2013, 46-year-old Crystal Mina says the hardest part is not being able to the little things.Mina's
Mina's 20-year-old son Isaiah, a student at Hawaii Pacific University has to help his mother get around around the house, while attached to her oxygen tanks. Her symptoms include severe fatigue and shortness of breath. She says the only cure for her is to get a double lung transplant, and that she has a lot to live for.
"I'd like to see my son graduate from college. And want to see him get married and my grand babies and enjoy life and my family and nieces and nephews," says Mina.
But living in Hawaii with this diagnosis, means she not only has to get treatment on the mainland, but she also has to put herself and her caregivers up for months in Chicago where her treatment facility is. And that's nothing compared to the cost of flying there on an air ambulance, which is not covered by insurance.
"The air ambulance should do a payment plan for the patients instead of asking for $50,000 up front. They were talking about putting something up against my home like a loan and also my retirement funds," says Mina.
And to make matters worse, Mina's insurance is only covering a portion of the actual medial expenses, leaving her to cover at least twenty percent of what is expected to cost over a million dollars. Her financial situation was so dire that her own Honolulu doctor Eric Crawley started her a gofundme page, and made the first donation himself. Mina was shocked by the red tape her medical insurance was putting her through.
"Anything that they can give, no matter how small. Even a dollar. Because if everybody gave a dollar that would probably cover the whole thing," says Mina's son Isaiah.
A Bank of Hawaii account has been created and named where deposits will be accepted at any Bank of Hawaii branch.
"The Crystal S. Mina Surgery Fund"
You may also send donations to:
34 Westervelt Street
Wahiawa, HI 96786
GO FUND ME
- Mililani woman waiting for double lung transplant
- Citrus Heights Man Needs Community's Help to Raise Money for Double Lung Transplant
- Nebraska Medicine performs first heart-lung transplant in state
- Boy receives Children's Hospital's first-ever heart and lung transplant
- Niki Lauda: Former F1 champion 'functioning well' after lung transplant
- Woman starts kidney transplant chain
- Claire Wineland, inspirational speaker and social media star, dies one week after lung transplant
- CNN analyst Bakari Sellers' baby daughter receives liver transplant, ending months of waiting
- A lung transplant gave her hope for a longer life; now her family prays for 'another miracle'
- Treatment combo nearly doubles survival time in lung cancer patients, study finds