The revitalization of the Saturn V rocket moved into a new phase Friday.
It's part of the 50th anniversary of the Apollo Mission (Read more about that here). Global paint supplier, PPG Industries, which has a presence in Huntsville donated hundreds of gallons of paint for the rocket. More than 100 volunteers spent half the day at the Space and Rocket Center. They not only painted the rocket, but spruced up other areas as well.
"We're going to be painting multiple parts of the rocket. The lower sections. We're gonna be painting guardrails and other areas that need it in the rocket park. As well as a little work down at aviation challenge which is on the other side of the park," said Tom Meyer, PPG Huntsville plant manager.
PPG also gave $15,000 to the center's foundation to sponsor aviation challenge teams. The revitalization of the rocket and other projects continue through June.
- Volunteers repaint Huntsville's Saturn V Rocket
- Huntsville’s Saturn V rocket gets a fresh look for Apollo 11 moon landing anniversary
- Huntsville man discovers assembly manual for Apollo 11 Saturn V rocket
- Small Huntsville firm helped make history for the Saturn V
- Saturn V rocket will be projected on Washington Monument for Apollo 11 anniversary
- Rocket City without rockets? Experts say technology and re-invention are in Huntsville's DNA
- VIDEO: Global Rocket Launch for Apollo 11 anniversary in Huntsville
- Apollo 11 exhibit coming to U.S. Space and Rocket Center
- Video: Huntsville's Lunar Legacy