UPDATE: The truck has been flipped back on its wheels. The Sutton Road and Old Big Cove Road intersection was closed off while the truck was removed.
At 5:33 a.m. Tuesday, a truck flipped on Old Big Cove Road in Owens Cross Roads. The driver initially wanted to take Cecil Ashburn Drive but swerved right to take the detour on Old Big Cove Road.
Huntsville Police say the driver was not local and was unfamiliar with his surroundings. Police say the driver could not see because it was dark outside and that he hit a winding part of the road, causing the truck to flip to its side. No injuries were reported.
A tow truck was scheduled to arrive at the scene after 8 a.m. to remove the truck. Huntsville Police wanted to delay the towing to allow rush hour traffic to flow smoothly.
- UPDATE: Truck flips on Old Big Cove Road after driver couldn't take Cecil Ashburn Drive
- Cecil Ashburn Drive Shutdown: Alternate Routes
- Cecil Ashburn Drive key project improvements
- Homeowners concerned over Cecil Ashburn Drive blasting
- Navigating Cecil Ashburn alternate routes
- This is when Cecil Ashburn Drive construction will begin
- Residents reflect on first day of Cecil Ashburn Drive shutdown
- Shutdown underway at Cecil Ashburn Drive in Huntsville
- Some hiking trails closed during Cecil Ashburn Drive construction
- Officials: Cecil Ashburn Drive construction not impacted by rain