Monday, WAAY 31 learned about enhancements that will be made to Cecil Ashburn when it's widened. They will not only work to ease traffic on the road but also make it safer.
City Engineer Kathy Martin explained a median is planned when Cecil Ashburn re-opens.
"There's been eleven fatalities on the road some of them with crossover traffic so this is an acceptable method," she said.
Nobody knows if a median would have prevented any of the 11 deadly crashes since 2001, but Martin explained making the road safer is a top priority to the city.
"You will also have a four-foot shoulder adjacent to that concrete barrier with some rumble strips and that will alert drivers when they start getting out of their lane," she added.
Other safety measures being added to the road is anti-skid paving along with a grate system to help get water off the road to keep people from hydroplaning.
"We were here when the road collapsed. They built the road, they opened it and there was some drainage and then it collapsed. It's a good thing they make sure they got plenty of drainages and they got the water diverted the right way," said Phillip Bradley who lives near the road.
Although the road closure will affect Phillip Bradley's direct access to the Hampton Cove Area for a year, he thinks the project's worth it.
"We knew it was going to expand. It will be an inconvenience for a year, but then it will be back to normal," Bradley added.
WAAY 31 also asked about the speed limit on the road, and the City's Engineer told me it will remain the same. The road will be a40 miles an hour .at most times, but 30 miles per hour when the road's wet.
- Cecil Ashburn to get safety features when road is widened
- Navigating Cecil Ashburn alternate routes
- Cecil Ashburn Drive Shutdown: Alternate Routes
- Cecil Ashburn shutdown impacts business owners
- Cecil Ashburn Drive key project improvements
- Homeowners concerned over Cecil Ashburn Drive blasting
- City council approves $17.9 million Cecil Ashburn contract
- First responders prepare for Cecil Ashburn Dr. closure
- This is when Cecil Ashburn Drive construction will begin
- Businesses on Cecil Ashburn react to upcoming shut down