WAAY-TV is pleased to continue to bring state-of-the art, personal storm warning services to North Alabama.
Recent improvements in how the National Weather Service defines warning areas have resulted in significantly higher accuracy and smaller warned areas, compared to the decades-old county-wide warning method. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/sbwarnings
The WeatherCall® system continuously monitors the National Weather Service's NOAA weather wire. Using computerized mapping (GIS) the system compares a subscriber's specific location to the location of the warning area. When a severe weather warning includes your location, you will receive a phone call from Chief Meteorologist, Chris Smith, 24 hours a day. You can also receive the warning by e-mail with a detailed map of the threat or by SMS text messaging.
During the tragic and epic storms of April 27th, 2011, the WeatherCall system delivered approximately 340,000 phone calls to WAAY-31 subscribers within minutes of issuance by the National Weather Service. Many people have credited WAAY-31 and WeatherCall as the only warning system still functioning and able to notify them on that day when sirens and weather radios were rendered inoperable by the storms.
Madison and Jackson Counties' combined 1,885 square miles are under a tornado warning issued on Jan 21, 2010 at 5:30PM. Their true warning area is slightly more than 300 sq. miles, representing a 85% reduction in warned area. Only WeatherCall subscribers INSIDE the red box would receive the warning call.
WeatherCall@Home works with ANY type of phone.
For iPhone and Android smart phone users, WeatherCall To Go is available.
Choose the type of service that is best for you:
- Monitors your home or business' permanent location.
- Tornado, and/or severe thunderstorm warning calls (flash flood warnings are done via e-mail or SMS text notifications only).
- ANY type of phone can be called - land lines, basic cell phones or smart phones.
- $9.95 annual subscription per address for up to 3 phone #'s.
- Sign up can be done online, by mail or calling a toll free messaging service.
- "Follows" your smart phone's current location, capable of updating once every minute.
- Tornado, and/or severe thunderstorm and flash flood warning notifications + "all clear" delivered by phone call and/or SMS text.
- $11.95 annual subscription per smart phone for NWS warnings. Optional LIGHTNING notifications for within 6 miles + "all clear" messages.
- bundle NWS warnings + lightning notification for $17.95 annual subscription.