A woman is dead and another person injured after being mauled by dogs in Section, Jackson County authorities said Thursday.
Emily Mae Colvin, 24, was killed when five dogs from a neighbor's house attacked her, Jackson County Sheriff Chuck Phillips said. The attack happened around 9 a.m. on County Road 121 in Section.
A friend of Colvin's was on the phone with her and came to help when she heard the dogs attacking, Phillips said. The dogs then attacked her, Phillips said. She was taken to a hospital with leg and arm injuries.
A responding deputy shot one of the dogs when it attacked him, Phillips said. The other four were captured and taken to a veterinarian to be observed for possible rabies.
There is no leash law in the county and Phillips said they have no idea what caused the dogs to attack.
"Dogs can run loose, but still the owner is responsible for the damages that they do," Phillips said. "So we will be seeking charges here in this case, probably in the March grand jury."
- UPDATE: Victim's name released in Jackson Co. dog attack
- Two arrested in connection with fatal Jackson County dog attack
- Jackson Co. sheriff explains dog ordinances after deadly attack
- Family says victim 'died a hero' during dog attack
- Dog attack victim now out of hospital following surgery
- Judge orders Jackson County dogs to be euthanized following deadly attack
- Woman attacked by dogs in Florence
- Deadly dog attack in Guntersville: Surviving victim's family speaks out about county leash laws
- Police release the name of homicide victim
- UPDATE: Jackson County highway reopens after paint truck crash