Freezing temperatures delayed the start of school for students in Limestone County past an already-delayed start time Thursday morning.
The school system, like many others in the Tennessee Valley, delayed the start of school Thursday morning because of cold weather. But a number of buses had frozen brake lines, Limestone County Schools spokeswoman Karen Tucker said, and it was taking more time to de-ice the lines.
Principals at multiple schools were being told to expect delays in buses getting students to school, Tucker said.
Police helped with traffic at Elkmont High School Thursday morning, after a broken water pipe left a coat of ice on a roadway at the school.
"We spent about two hours last night trying to repair the water leak and also salting the roads to try to prepare for this morning," said Elkmont High Principal Bill Tribble.
The broken pipe is located inside the football field ticket house and the pipe is for a sprinkler system on campus.
It left ice on the road from the ticket booth to a three-way stop sign at the school. Crews from the county commission went back out to the school early Thursday morning to sprinkle salt and sand on the road.
By the time students arrived at school, the road was drivable and there was no ice over the road.
"We want to make sure that our roads, our buildings, everything is as safe as possible, so anytime we have a water leak that is affecting the road, we want to make sure we get out here as soon as possible, to address the leak and start working on the issue especially when its ice going across one of our major roads going into Elkmont High School," added Tribble.
- UPDATE: Weather causes issues for Limestone County Schools, Ice no longer over road near school
- Roads reopen in Limestone County
- Limestone County Schools considering cutting teachers
- Limestone County Schools holding Summer Meals Program
- Limestone County roads closed due to flooding
- Limestone County school officials, authorities practice active shooter training
- Limestone County deputies investigating shooting on Old Railroad Bed Road
- Pedestrian killed in Limestone County
- Road widening project set to ease traffic at East Limestone High School
- Limestone County district 4 shed damaged by severe weather