Neighbors are sad but not surprised to hear about a shooting that left one woman dead in Huntsville and put two teens behind bars.
The shooting happened at a vacant house on Williamsburg Drive shortly after 7:00 p.m. on Friday.
Now, 17-year-old Hassan Erskine and 18-year-old Terran Burt are charged with capital murder.
“We were community people, we were a village," Glenn Gurley said. "We took care of everybody. If you saw somebody doing something bad, the grown folks corrected you and put you on the right path.”
Gurley grew up in Huntsville, in what he calls a simpler and safer time--much different, he says, from the Huntsville he knows today.
“People don’t have that sense of compassion for each other anymore," Gurley said. "And it’s sad.”
That’s why Gurley says he wasn’t surprised to hear of the deadly shooting that happened in his neighborhood Friday night.
He says crimes like this are becoming more common.
“Every day this week, you know, somebody got shot. Killed," he said.
According to Huntsville police, Charity Fennell met Hassan Erskine and Terran Burt through social media and arranged to meet with them at a vacant house Friday night for an apparent drug deal.
However, shortly after meeting with the teens, Fennell was shot multiple times and later died.
Both Erskine and Burt have since been charged with capital murder.
Gurley tells WAAY 31 he’s disappointed that such a violent crime happened in his neighborhood, but, overall, he doesn’t believe his community is to blame.
“Even though it happened, there’s still good in this community," he said. "There’s good people in this community.”
And in the meantime, Gurley says he will be doing some praying.
“I’m just going to pray for the family. The victim and her family, the kids. And I’m going to pray for the ones that did the killing,” he said.
WAAY 31 spoke with Fennell’s wife and, although she didn’t want to go on camera, she told us Fennell was a very caring person who would do anything for anybody.
- Two teens charged after woman fatally shot in Huntsville
- Teen fatally shot in central Alabama subdivision
- Sister speaks after Huntsville teens charged with woman's murder
- Huntsville Police officer shot
- Woman shot in the head during early morning Huntsville shooting
- Police charge juvenile with murder following Huntsville teen's shooting death
- Huntsville woman's horror in Hawaii
- One person shot in north Huntsville
- Huntsville man charged with forgery
- Bystander fatally shot in crossfire in Birmingham