Madison County authorities say a Lacey's Spring man died one day after authorities arrested him following a multi-county pursuit.
The Madison County Sheriff's Office says 40-year-old Brian Dallas was found unresponsive in his jail cell Saturday following a Friday incident where authorities say he stole a Morgan County deputy's truck following a traffic stop. Dallas was later caught in Ditto Landing on the Madison County side of the Tennessee River.
Authorities say Dallas, who was charged with reckless endangerment, theft of a motor vehicle and resisting arrest, was first taken to Huntsville Hospital Friday before being cleared by doctors. He was then booked in the Madison County Jail just after midnight Saturday morning.
Jail workers identified Dallas as a drug and alcohol user and placed him into their detox protocol. While he was in detox, Dallas was found unresponsive in his cell and was later pronounced dead at Huntsville Hospital.
No one has released a cause of death at this time, and forensic analysts will perform an autopsy to determine how he died.
- Sheriff: Jailed inmate who stole deputy's vehicle died while detoxing
- Inmate dies at Jackson County Jail
- Sheriff: Inmate kills himself in Marshall County jail
- Sheriff: Deputy dragged by vehicle after trying to arrest man
- Police: Woman stole vehicles from Muscle Shoals apartment complex
- Escaped Shoals inmate back in jail
- Inmate escaped from Morgan County Jail
- Former jail warden sues Morgan County sheriff
- Lauderdale County Sheriff says jail overcrowding puts deputies in a dangerous situation
- 2 Florida Sheriff's deputies shot and killed