HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP) - Collin Sexton scored 21 points and John Petty added 18 as Alabama rallied past Mercer for an 80-79 victory on Tuesday night in the Rocket City Classic.
Petty, a two-time Alabama Mr. Basketball as a Huntsville prep star, hit four of the Crimson Tide's six 3-pointers in his homecoming. Dazon Ingram added 11 and Alex Reese 10 for the Crimson Tide (8-3).
Demetre Rivers had 24 points and Ria'n Holland added 21 to lead Mercer (6-6). Holland missed a last-second 3-point attempt after a Tide turnover.
Alabama trailed at halftime 35-31, and was down seven at the 10-minute mark of the second half. But it went on a 15-2 run over the next four minutes, highlighted by a Petty 3-pointer with 7:27 to play, that gave the Tide the lead for good.
Alabama: After going 10-for-24 shooting on 3-pointers in a six-point loss at Arizona, the Tide made just 1 of 16 3-point shots in the first half, and finished 6 of 28 from long range.
Mercer: The Bears didn't figure on a potential buzzer-beater after Alabama enjoyed a six-point lead with 11 seconds to go. But some sloppy Tide play gave Mercer an inbounds play with one second remaining, and Holland's 25-foot desperation 3 hit the front rim and caromed away.
Alabama's neutral-site game with Mercer was sandwiched between a visit to No. 18 Arizona (a six-point loss on Dec. 9) and a meeting Friday night in Birmingham with Texas (8-3). The Tide, with a schedule ranked 12th toughest in the nation, opens SEC play against No. 8 Texas A&M on Dec. 30.
Mercer, the preseason favorite in the Southern Conference, hosts Kennesaw State on Dec. 28.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
12/19/2017 10:53:46 PM (GMT -6:00)
- Sexton, Petty rally Alabama past Mercer 80-79
- Sexton, Petty lead Alabama by Virginia Tech 86-83
- Sexton leads No. 24 Alabama past Louisiana Tech 77-74
- Sexton's buzzer beater lifts Alabama over Texas A&M, 71-70
- Sexton leads Alabama's 2nd-half surge to beat No. 16 Auburn
- Report: Alabama's Sexton to declare for NBA Draft
- Collin Sexton declares for 2018 NBA Draft
- No. 1 Alabama blasts Mercer 56-0, moves on to Iron Bowl
- Huntsville's Petty scores 27, Alabama holds off No. 17 Auburn 76-71
- Frosh star Sexton leads No. 9 seed Alabama against Va. Tech