In Greenbrier, a community well known for a fish best served up fried -- catfish -- people are happy to know the Spring Pygmy Fish, not much bigger than a Goldfish snack cracker, won’t stand in the way of the Mazda Toyota plant.
"The food is wonderful," Janet Boseck told WAAY 31.
The golden-fried fish served up on a platter is what brings Boseck to Greenbrier Restaurant.
"Very good Southern food!" she told us about the catfish and barbeque.
For two weeks, the view from the restaurant has shown heavy construction equipment sitting idle.
Mazda Toyota stopped prepping the construction site after the Center for Biological Diversity expressed concern about the Spring Pygmy Sunfish. Its only known habitat is at the edge of the plant site.
"It's a lot of hoopla over a little fish," Boseck said.
She was glad to see crews go back to work, Tuesday, laying the groundwork for the massive auto plant.
Mazda Toyota told WAAY 31 the joint venture worked with the city of Huntsville to make sure the Spring Pygmy Sunfish habit is protected.
It even brought people with the environmental group to the site to see how Mazda Toyota will work to protect the one-inch fish.
Mazda Toyota now says it's "... confident work can resume on the site in a manner that helps protect the Spring Pygmy Sunfish and its habitat..."
WAAY 31 also reached out to the city of Huntsville. It fully stands by Mazda Toyota's decision to move forward.
And we contacted the Center for Biological Diversity.
Its statement is about as short as the Spring Pygmy Fish: "We're disappointed and assessing our options."
Two weeks ago, the group said it will do everything in its power to protect the tiny fish.
Back at Greenbrier Restaurant, Janet Boseck said, "That leaves it open doesn't it."
She’s just focusing on all the jobs headed to Greenbrier. "Absolutely, we have to concentrate on that."
The pause in construction of the Mazda Toyota plant was relatively short -- just about two weeks. So, the joint venture says work remains on schedule.
- People glad tiny fish won't hinder huge Mazda Toyota plant
- Construction at Mazda-Toyota plant halted over fish preservation concerns
- Critically endangered fish halts Mazda Toyota plant construction
- Toyota-Mazda plant announcement coming next year
- Community reacts to Toyota-Mazda manufacturing plant
- Officials react to Toyota-Mazda plant announcement
- Group says Mazda-Toyota plant will drive endangered fish to extinction
- What it took to land Toyota-Mazda plant deal
- Limestone County likely home for $1.6B Toyota-Mazda plant
- Environmental activist group requests plans for Mazda Toyota Plant site