Scottsboro Police charged a New Jersey woman with exploiting the elderly.
Investigators said Shante Nicole Shakes, 24, called the victim and told him he won $8 million. Police say the victim was then told to send a check for $10,000 to cover the taxes. The victim told police he sent the money, but never received the winnings.
Detectives were able to locate the bank where the check was deposited and track down Shakes.
Shakes was arrested as she returned from an overseas vacation and charged with Financial Exploitation of the Elderly. She is currently out on a $10,000 bond.
- New Jersey woman charged with trying to scam elderly Ala. man
- New Jersey woman charged with scamming Scottsboro resident
- Three charged with trying to scam elderly Limestone Co. woman
- Man charged with robbing elderly
- Elderly woman loses hundreds of dollars after caller ID scam
- 3 charged for scamming elderly woman who lost her son in Limestone Co., deputies say
- An Ala. bill could help medical students
- Ala. Sen. Shelby to lead powerful Appropriations Committee
- Police officer punches woman in New Jersey beach arrest video
- Jury duty scam