CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) - NASA is honoring the seven astronauts killed aboard shuttle Columbia 15 years ago, with a special musical tribute by the son of Israel's first astronaut.
Singer and songwriter Tal Ramon traveled from Israel for Thursday's ceremony at Kennedy Space Center. It was just his second trip back since his father was killed on Feb. 1, 2003. All seven astronauts - including Israeli astronaut Ilan Ramon (EE-Lahn Ruh-MONE) - died when Columbia shattered in the skies over Texas, just minutes before a Florida touchdown.
Ramon performed two of his own songs. He later joined relatives of other astronauts killed over the decades, placing yellow, orange and pink roses at the Space Mirror Memorial. In all, 24 names are engraved in the large granite monument.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
1/25/2018 11:41:29 AM (GMT -6:00)
- NASA honors 7 killed on space shuttle Columbia 15 years ago
- Space Shuttle Columbia Fast Facts
- The car industry's comeback started years ago
- Humans were in Philippines 700,000 years ago
- One year ago, she marched. This year, she's a councilwoman
- Florida casino boat shuttle fire kills 1; other passengers swim to safety
- Bitcoin was $800 a year ago. Now it's $17,000
- 'The Boondocks' predicted an Oprah 2020 win... 12 years ago
- 100 years ago (some) British women got the vote
- 11,000 years ago, our ancestors survived abrupt climate change