The Alabama Department of Corrections is investigating a report of a phone call made by a man claiming to be an escaped inmate to a television station.
Prison officials say a news reporter with Birmingham television station WBRC answered a call from a person identifying himself as Antwone Wilson. The person said he confessed to the escape, and the information gathered was turned over to U.S. Marshals.
Wilson escaped from the St. Clair Correctional Facility in Springville Monday along with Ronald Odell King. King was later captured in Jefferson County.
Wilson is serving a life sentence without parole for a first-degree robbery conviction in Jefferson County.
Prison leaders say they are still following leads in hopes of capturing Wilson.
- Man claiming to be escaped Alabama inmate calls television station
- Inmate escapes Alabama work release
- Tuscumbia escaped inmate recaptured
- Escaped inmate captured near Geraldine
- Inmate escapes from south Alabama work release center
- Alabama inmate fatally stabbed
- Work release inmate recaptured, faces escape charge
- UPDATE: Escaped inmate from Montgomery recaptured
- Escaped inmate in Madison County recaptured
- Transport driver fired after inmate escapes custody