Huntsville police said scammers are impersonating police in an effort to coax cash out of their victims.
Police said someone is disguising the police department's non-emergency number, 256-722-7100, and telling callers they work for the Huntsville Police Department. The caller then tells the victim that they owe the department money and if they don't pay, a warrant will be issued for their arrest.
Police said the call is a scam and is not the way the department operates.
Police said anyone who gets the call should contact them and let them know.
- Huntsville police warn of scammers impersonating officers
- Huntsville Police officer shot
- Huntsville police officers cleared in deadly shooting
- Scottsboro City Schools employees targeted by scammers
- Scammers calling victims after the tornado
- Scammers targeting people looking for love online
- Huntsville police identify man killed in officer-involved shooting
- Huntsville Police officer involved in early morning accident
- Huntsville Police officers save people from burning apartment building
- Huntsville police officer recovering in hospital after wreck