A political scandal involving Republican U.S. Senate nominee Roy Moore only seems to be growing.
A new accuser came forward saying she's lived in fear for so many years.
The widespread accusations have Democratic U.S. Senate nominee Doug Jones leading in some polls, leaving some to believe there’s a real possibility a democrat could win the senate seat after 25 years.
The last time a Democrat was elected to the US senate for Alabama was 1992, when Senator Richard Shelby was re-elected for his 2nd term, before switching his political affiliation to republican in 1994. Senator Howell Heflin was the last democrat to actually serve, when he retired in 1997, after serving three terms.
WAAY 31’s political analyst Dale Jackson says the embattled Republican senate nominee is in trouble, “There’s been about a 14 point swing in the last couple of days. This is a problem for him. We got a new accuser out now and because there’s a new accuser that makes people more likely to believe the original accusers.”
Jackson goes on to say the GOP stronghold for Alabama has taken a hit, putting some Republicans like himself in a tough position come Election Day.
“He’s tainted already. It just depends on what you want. If you’re a Democrat you want Roy Moore to step aside, because that hands you the seat. If you’re Republican and you’re a conservative, you wish Roy Moore will come out tomorrow and say hey look I understand this is hanging over my head. I will not serve if elected, but I’m staying on the ballot, vote for me, and I’ll step down and Kay Ivey can appoint the next United States Senator from Alabama,” Jackson said.
- Democrats have not won an Alabama US Senate race in 25 years
- In Alabama, Democrat Jones far ahead in Senate money race
- Buoyed by Alabama win, Democrats eye Tennessee Senate race
- Black women seek rewards from Democrats after Alabama race
- Jones trying to boost black turnout in Alabama Senate race
- Write-in votes could help decide Alabama Senate race
- Provisional, Military ballots counted in Alabama Senate Race
- US Senate race: Democratic candidate Doug Jones makes several stops in Huntsville Thursday night
- Madison County residents react to Senate race
- Showdown Set in Tennessee's Senate Race