BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - An Albertville lawyer and former part-time municipal judge was sentenced to nearly two decades in prison for child pornography.
A statement from the U.S. Department of Justice Thursday said a federal judge sentenced 54-year-old Steven Vincent Smith a day earlier to 17½ years in jail and 10 years of supervised release after he serves his sentence.
Smith pleaded guilty in November to one count of receiving child pornography on a computer.
The government's court filings said Smith "committed a shocking number of sex crimes" since as early as 2010. Court documents said he possessed thousands of child pornography images, including pictures of graphic sexual assaults on toddlers. They also said he molested a child and advised other sexual predators on how to groom and molest children.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Former Albertville judge sentenced for child pornography
- Albertville couple charged with abusing small child
- Person shot in Albertville
- Madison counselor arrested on child pornography charges
- Man arrested in Madison for child pornography
- Man charged in Albertville shooting
- How did a child pornography video go viral on Facebook?
- Huntsville Police arrest two men for child pornography
- Etowah County man arrested for possession of child pornography
- Albertville police involved in overnight shooting