The surviving victim of the dog attack in Guntersville didn't want to go on camera to talk about the attack, but her family said she was bitten 10 times by the four dogs and that she had to have surgery.
She is now at home recovering.
The family of the woman who died in the attack told WAAY 31 she was related to the owner of those dogs.
The family didn't want to go on camera, but they said the surviving victim was going for a walk right along Jason Road just south of Guntersville when the four dogs attacked.
They don't know why they attacked.
At that point, 46-year-old Tracey Patterson Cornelius came out of her home to help the woman being attacked by the dogs.
That's when those dogs turned on her and started biting her.
The family said Cornelius's own dog then came out to protect her. They told WAAY 31 that dog passed away from injuries it sustained during the attack.
The family said that Tracey "died a hero trying to save someone else."
Marshall County Animal Control told WAAY 31 the four dogs responsible for the attack are currently being held at B&A Animal Hospital in Boaz.
The Marshall County Sheriff's Office said the dogs are likely to be put down.
WAAY 31 called the department several times on Wendesday to find out when that will happen, but they didn't return any of the phone calls.
WAAY 31 also left a message for the District Attorney for Marshall County to find out what sort of charges the owner of the dogs could face, but we did not get a call back Wednesday.
- Dog attack victim now out of hospital following surgery
- Florence woman remains in the hospital after dog attack
- Family says victim 'died a hero' during dog attack
- UPDATE: Victim's name released in Jackson Co. dog attack
- Woman undergoes two surgeries after Florence police dog bites her
- Dog has surgery after being shot multiple times in Albertville
- Woman attacked by dogs in Florence
- Deadly dog attack in Guntersville: Surviving victim's family speaks out about county leash laws
- Shooting victim hospitalized with life-threatening injuries
- Transgender service member gets gender reassignment surgery