Many people in Decatur are counting their blessings tonight--saying they’re grateful Saturday’s weather wasn’t as bad as it was last week.
“My little girl cried when it hit. And after the wind came through, and the roaring, then I heard this noise over the top of the house," Junior Letson said. "And that’s when all of the trees started going every which way. It looked like a war zone right in here.”
That’s what Letson remembers from last week’s storm--a storm he says was dramatically different from today’s.
“One hundred percent different," he said. "Today was just some rain and thunder.”
Letson says, because of that, he's counting his blessings.
“Today is another blessing. We could’ve gotten hammered again today and we didn’t," he said.
Letson’s roof was damaged in last week’s storm.
This time around, he’s keeping his neighbors in mind.
Many of their homes were damaged worse than Letson's
“Ours is not leaking. We’re not wet," he said. "And I’ve seen some houses that the people can’t even live in.”
Letson says he credits his faith for his family’s good fortune.
“I did a lot of praying last night and this morning. A lot. And we were spared," he said.
Even with a damaged home, Junior Letson manages to see the silver lining.
“I watch a lot of news, and this little bit that we went through in the storm, there was others that was a lot worse than we were," he said. "And there’s always a blessing in everything. Like I said again, no one got killed, no one got hurt. Material things you can repair and fix.”
Thankfully, Letson said his home wasn’t leaking after Saturday’s rain.
But other neighbors WAAY 31 talked with did have leaks, and say they’re hoping for better weather as well as a repaired roof in the near future.
- Decatur residents dealing with rough weather once again
- Decatur Police shift into severe weather mode
- Storm victims in Northwest Decatur dealing with downed trees
- Decatur police investigating shooting
- Freezing weather keeps warming center open in Decatur
- Decatur cancels most athletic activities due to weather worries
- Decatur police respond to possible bomb call at Decatur mall
- Decatur police investigating Saturday shooting
- Decatur woman killed by car
- Pedestrian killed crossing Decatur street