Moulton police are investigating the death of a child who shot himself at his home Tuesday morning.
The Lawrence county coroner confirmed the 4-year-old as Zachary Jace Duke.
The shooting happened around 10 a.m. at a home on County Road 181 in Moulton, Lawrence County Coroner Greg Randolph said. The 4-year-old was taken to Lawrence Medical Center where he died, Randolph said.
Moulton Police Chief, Lyndon McWhorter says, it appears Duke shot himself by accident.
Randolph said, he was told the gun was colorful and the child may have thought it was a toy.
RB Abbott, a neighbor said, "We've never had nothing like this to happen before. This is a little community, quiet community. We've never had any no problems. I mean nothing happens, no gun tragedy like this.
The child's body was taken to Huntsville for a preliminary autopsy. Officials should have results later this week.
- Child dies in accidental shooting at Moulton home
- Police won't file charges in child's accidental shooting death
- Moulton woman killed in wreck near Decatur
- Three arrested in Moulton after ongoing investigation
- Missing Moulton woman's search team speaks out
- Woman shot in fight at Moulton business
- Business owners look to revitalize downtown Moulton
- Child dies after tree falls on mobile home in Florida
- Family: Tom Petty died of accidental drug overdose
- Moulton man killed in deadly Easter Sunday Wreck