Cause of fire that killed Huntsville man determined

A space heater and a stove were responsible for two recent fires in the city, fire officials said.

Posted: Feb. 1, 2018 1:27 PM

A space heater was responsible for a fire two weeks ago that killed an elderly Huntsville man, fire officials said Thursday.

Scroll for more content...

The space heater overheated the socket it was plugged into on Jan. 13, causing a fire at a home on Rideout Drive, Huntsville Fire Department Capt. Frank McKenzie said.

The fire killed William Arthur Lamb, 76.

According to McKenzie, another fire that left three people without a home on Memorial Parkway Jan. 24 was caused by a stove.

McKenzie said the stove was in the position between "off" and "low." He said it wasn't clear whether the stove switch may have malfunctioned or was just left on.

No one was injured in that fire.

Related Content

Article Comments

Huntsville
Broken Clouds
77° wxIcon
Hi: 85° Lo: 68°
Feels Like: 79°
Florence
Clear
79° wxIcon
Hi: 89° Lo: 70°
Feels Like: 82°
Fayetteville
Clear
75° wxIcon
Hi: 83° Lo: 66°
Feels Like: 75°
Decatur
Clear
76° wxIcon
Hi: 87° Lo: 68°
Feels Like: 76°
Scottsboro
Broken Clouds
73° wxIcon
Hi: 85° Lo: 69°
Feels Like: 73°
WAAY Radar
WAAY WAAY-TV Cam
WAAY Temperatures

 

Community Events