WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) - The Latest on a crash that overturned an ambulance in North Carolina (all times local):
Police say an ambulance carrying a young boy to a North Carolina hospital with his mother was hit by a drunken driver, leaving the child with life-threatening injuries.
Winston-Salem Police Lt. Rick Newnum said investigators believe the child was in stable condition before the crash early Sunday on a highway north of downtown Winston-Salem. Newnum said it appears that the crash further injured the child and left him with critical injuries.
Newnum said the boy was being transported with his mother to a Winston-Salem area hospital when the crash happened.
Newnum didn't have an exact age for the boy or further details on why he was being brought to the area before the crash happened.
Three adults on the ambulance had minor injuries. The ambulance was based in Wise, Virginia.
North Carolina police have charged a man with drunken driving after an early morning crash overturned an ambulance and sent several people to the hospital.
Winston-Salem police issued a news release that the ambulance from Wise, Virginia, was hit by a car and overturned around 1 a.m. Sunday, closing a North Carolina highway for three hours.
Three adults in the ambulance sustained minor injuries, while a juvenile passenger was taken to a hospital with life-threatening injuries. It wasn't immediately clear what condition the child was in before the crash. Police and the ambulance company didn't immediately respond to messages seeking further information.
Jose Martin Duran Romero, 27, of Winston-Salem was charged with driving while intoxicated and driving without a license. No phone listing for him could be found and it wasn't immediately known if he had an attorney.
- Boy fights for life after drunk driver hits ambulance
- Uber driver attacked by drunk passengers
- 9-year-old boy fighting for his life against mystery illness
- Man fighting for his life after hit and run
- 'Thank God it wasn't worse': Family hit by accused drunk driver
- Fire destroys ambulance at AMR Headquarters
- Woman in custody following stolen ambulance pursuit
- Speeding driver thankful deputy saved her life
- The life of an Uber test driver
- Casino-Bound Passengers Describe Terrifying Wild Ride With Drunk Bus Driver