Trading in the virtual currency bitcoin is volatile just days before it begins trading on a major U.S. exchange.
Bitcoin briefly soared above $19,000 Thursday, before falling back. As of 4:25 p.m. EST, bitcoin was valued at $16,860 on the Coinbase exchange, still a gain of $3,400 on the day.
Bitcoin was valued below $1,000 at the start of the year.
Futures contracts on bitcoin begin trading on the Chicago Board Options Exchange on Sunday and on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange a week later. A group of banks has questioned whether regulators properly considered the risks inherent in virtual currencies such as bitcoin before approving the trading of futures.
The futures are a sign of gradual mainstream acceptance of bitcoin, but also open up bitcoin to additional market forces, such as short-selling, or bets that the price will go lower.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
12/7/2017 3:41:02 PM (GMT -6:00)
- Bitcoin swings wildly ahead of start of futures trading
- 20 percent swing in 3 Alabama US Senate polls Monday
- UAH WBB off to 2-0 start ahead of home opener
- Bitcoin bounces back after serious slump
- A Sunny Saturday Ahead!
- Democrat: trade wall for 'Dreamers'
- Judge Roy Moore swings back at allegations reaching back nearly 4 decades
- NFL players kneel, raise fists or sit out National Anthem as preseason gets in full swing
- KFC starting sensitivity training
- Rain Increasing Starting Thursday