By COURTNEY RATKOWIAK
DAYTON, Ohio (AP) - Auburn passed its first true road test of the season in convincing fashion on Wednesday, beating Dayton 73-60 at UD Arena and snapping the Flyers' 16-game, 385-day home win streak.
After scoring just two points in the first half, Auburn sophomore guard Mustapha Heron helped the Tigers pull away with 16 second-half points. He finished with a team-high 21 points.
Auburn (5-1) jumped to an 11-2 lead early as Dayton (3-3) started 1 of 9 from the field. The Flyers struggled to find a rhythm all night. Dayton finished with 19 turnovers, and team captain Josh Cunningham fouled out with just six points.
Dayton went on a 13-0 run midway through the first half to briefly take the lead, but Auburn outscored Dayton 24-9 for the remainder of the half. The Tigers never trailed again, leading by double digits for most of the second half and extending their lead by as much as 16.
Auburn, which entered Wednesday's game averaging 93.4 points per game, managed just 35 points before halftime. Its 73 points were the lowest in a game this season, but it was enough to ensure the outcome was not in doubt.
Auburn: Freshman Chuma Okeke, who entered the game averaging 8.8 points per game, surpassed his career high before halftime. He led Auburn with 13 first-half points, but managed just two after halftime.
Dayton: The Flyers continue to rely on senior guard Darrell Davis, who averaged just 5.5 points per game last season, to be the cornerstone of their young offense. He entered Wednesday's game averaging 20 points per game, helped Dayton stay close in the first half with his 10 first-half points and finished with a team-high 18.
Auburn hosts George Mason on Sunday.
Dayton plays its first true road game of the season at Mississippi State on Sunday.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Auburn snaps Dayton's 16-game home win streak, 73-60
- Auburn wins!
- Dow snaps longest losing streak in a year
- Stocks finish quarter strong, but Dow snaps longest win streak in 20 years
- Betting on Auburn to win National Championship
- Georgia wins SEC Championship over Auburn
- Catching critters: Cold snap sends more animals into homes, cars
- NC State, Auburn announce home-and-home series
- Mississippi moves to SEC semis with 7-0 win over Auburn
- Special election rebuff builds Trump's losing streak