Huntsville is about to get a new rocket manufacturing facility, and Tuesday's groundbreaking is the next step to more high-paying jobs for the area.
Aerojet Rocketdyne has started construction on a facility where workers will soon make products for the company's defense and aerospace sectors.
The 136,000 sq. ft. north Huntsville facility will be located just north of Toyota Motor Manufacturing Alabama, and it is one of two new facilities coming to the area. The company plans to employ 200 workers at the manufacturing facility, while it also plans to build its new defense headquarters at Cummings Research Park.
The two facilities will cost $27.5 million, and the company will lease both. Aerojet Rocketdyne plans to employ 700 at both. Defense headquarters construction is slated for a January 2018 groundbreaking.
The average worker in this expansion will make $80,000 annually.
- Aerojet Rocketdyne breaks ground on first massive Huntsville expansion project
- Teledyne Brown to break ground on new Huntsville manufacturing facility
- Google breaks ground on Alabama data center
- Developer breaks ground on Town Madison apartments
- Expansion of greenway in south Huntsville now open
- Boeing completes Huntsville missile seeker expansion; adds 70 new jobs
- South Huntsville road project includes new park
- Massive brawl breaks out in high school hallways
- Parsons to break ground on new facility, add 50 jobs
- Florence, Lauderdale County leaders break ground on new animal shelter