The Madison County Sheriff's Office is asking for people in the New Market area to be on high alert after a string of vehicle break-ins.
WAAY 31 learned the thieves stole guns and cash from locked vehicles.
The Sheriff's office told WAAY 31 the break-ins happened in a 2 mile area along River Downs Drive, Shaun Circle and Tanner Ridge Circle.
Mario Whitman told me he'd heard that his neighbors vehicles had been broken into.
"I'm more alert just kinda watching my surroundings. I'm still sleeping at night, but I'm still watching our surroundings to make sure our family is protected," he said.
He told me he's not used to hearing about crime in his neighborhood.
"This is a quiet neighborhood. This is a kid-friendly neighborhood. My kids run up and down this street along with other kids. We have fun. We ride our bikes."
The Sheriff's Office says late Monday night into early Thursday morning, they believe someone broke into locked vehicle, and they stole money and guns in three different neighborhoods in New Market.
The Spokesperson said investigators believe the victims were targeted, and the people who are breaking in knew weapons and money were inside.
"It's scary actually because we are living in a time where kids are getting guns. We don't know if these are adults or kids and they're either selling them or they could do things with them to commit a crime," Whitman said.
Whitman is hoping whoever is responsible for the break-ins stops before someone gets hurt.
"Times are different now.If you have the guns return them. Just stop." he said.
The Sheriff's office is asking everyone to remove all valuables and weapons from their cars.
If you know who may be responsible for this string of break-ins, then you are asked to call them.
- Madison Co. deputies warn people to remove valuables from vehicles
- Troopers, deputies chase driver in Madison County
- Madison County deputies looking for tool thief
- Fun Facebook posts could be giving out valuable information
- Car burglars take guns, money, and other valuables in Tuscumbia
- Gun confiscated from student's vehicle at Madison Co. High
- Burglary suspect arrested after running from deputies in Madison County
- Social media tips lead to Madison man's arrest, deputies say
- Madison County reserve deputy arrested on domestic violence charge
- Madison Co. deputies arrest woman for multiple home burglaries