A 5-year-old Colorado girl is in fair condition at the hospital with 77 stiches after authorities said she was dragged away from her own yard by a black bear in the middle of the night, ABC News reported.
Kimberly Cyr's father said his daughter went into the backyard of the family home around 2:30 AM after she heard noises she assumed were coming from the family dog.
Kimberly's mother heard screams a few minutes later and looked out the window to see her daughter being dragged off by a bear. The animal only dropped Kimberly after the girl's mother began to scream at it.
An official with Colorado Parks and Wildlife said traps are currently set for the bear. It'll be put down after it is caught so a necropsy can be performed on the animal.
The official said the little girl likely startled the animal since most wildlife doesn't regularly encounter people outside in the middle of the night
- Mom hears screams, sees bear drag off her 5 year-old daughter
- Mom who stabbed daughter preached about love
- Hammerhead shark dragged to shore
- Mom and daughter graduate college together 40 years after mom started
- Woman gets 18 years to life for dragging death
- Mom pleads no contest in toddler daughter's 'torture' death
- Mom and daughter reunited after Florida high school shooting
- Grandmother, mom and daughter injured in Las Vegas Strip robbery
- Daughters' wheat allergy inspires mom to found gluten-free bakery
- Mom accidentally shoots and kills 2-year-old daughter