A Colbert County fisherman discovered a gruesome sight Wednesday afternoon after finding a mutilated canine in the water near River Road.
The fisherman alerted authorities around 3:30 p.m., and when animal control arrived they found that the canine had its ears cut off. They also believe the person or people involved also neutered the canine. The canine was also skinned down to the bones.
While Colbert County animal control believed it was a dog, some are saying it could be a coyote. The dead animal was taken to a local veterinarian who x-rayed the animal, but the animal doctor could not come to a conclusion. A game warden will now inspect the canine.
Authorities are convinced this was done by a human, and they are asking the public for any help finding who might be behind this. If the animal is determined to be a dog, the perpetrator could face animal cruelty charges.
If you have any information you can call Colbert County Animal Control at 256-381-4073.
Colbert County Animal Control
- Colbert County veterinarian unsure if mutilated animal is dog or coyote
- State determines Colbert County mutilated animal was a coyote
- Colbert County animal shelter at maximum capacity
- NEW DETAILS: Lauderdale County confirms skinned animal is coyote
- Colbert County Animal Shelter closing for ten days
- Colbert County summer school program
- Pedestrian identified in deadly Colbert County wreck
- Colbert County Schools introduce new education foundation
- Man killed in Colbert County crash
- Colbert County deputy involved in morning wreck