J-hann J-hannsson, a Golden Globe winning composer, died Friday in Berlin, his manager confirmed to CNN. A native of Iceland, J-hannsson was 48. The cause of death is unknown.
J-hannsson won a Golden Globe award in 2015 for his score to "The Theory of Everything," a British film depicting the life of famed theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking.
"When you're given material like 'The Theory of Everything,' it seems like my job is very easy," he said when accepting the award. J-hannsson was also nominated for an Academy Award for his work on the film, and received another Oscar nomination the following year for his score to "Sicario."
He also composed the score for the 2016 alien film "Arrival," for which he was nominated for another Golden Globe, and was the music and sound consultant for Darren Aronofsky's 2017 thriller "mother!"
In addition to his work in films, J-hannsson put out a number of solo albums. He was known for blending classical music with electronic components.
Though his music was often described as haunting and ominous, he said that part of his job was to understand when a score wasn't needed.
"In mainstream cinema, there's usually too much music," he told The Guardian in 2016. "In 'Arrival,' the use of space and silence is extremely important. When music is needed, it's really there and it serves a purpose."
In an interview with Red Bull Music Academy in 2016, J-hannsson said that his music career started out not with the orchestral film scores he would come to be known for, but with a small rock-influenced group of teenagers.
"I started my first band when I was 16 or 17, and it was a band which was very much based around distorted fuzz guitar," he said. "It was very minimalistic, very textural."
Tim Hecker, a fellow avant-garde musician, tweeted that "J-hann was an amazing composer, a gentle spirit as well as a favorite collaborator and human being."
J-hannsson is survived by his parents, sisters and daughter.
- Composer J-hann J-hannsson dead at 48
- At least 48 dead in Peru bus crash
- Pre-monsoon showers leave 48 dead in northern India
- At least 48 people dead after migrant boat sinks off Tunisian coast
- Government to shut down in 48 hours: What to watch
- Citigroup CEO scores a 48% raise to $23 million
- Naufragio de bote con inmigrantes deja al menos 48 muertos
- Man gets 48 years for 'unfathomable' fatal beating of wife
- Inside Mar-a-Lago for 48 hours critical to the Russia investigation
- Immigration state of play: 48 hours of Senate debate to go